MEETING ROOM POLICY
Library facilities are defined as equipment, buildings, and grounds that are owned by the regional library system. The primary purpose of Library facilities is to support the regional library system operations. However, the Handley Regional Library Board encourages use of facilities by individual groups, and organizations when they are used for educational, cultural, civic, social, government, or general purposes and their use does not interfere with library operations.
The Board reserves the right to withdraw facilities from use at any time for any reason. The Board sets charges and cleaning fees for use of facilities. Procedures for governing the use of the Handley Regional Library Facilities shall be promulgated by the director. The following policies govern the use of the Library meeting spaces:
- Meeting rooms shall be available on equal terms to various groups engaged in legal activities in the community regardless of the beliefs and affiliations of their members. The Library Board will hold the authorized representative of the organization responsible for the costs of damages to library facilities. Likewise, the Handley Regional Library will requires that such representatives sign that the organization will hold the library harmless for claims, liabilities, and/or damages directly or indirectly related to the use of library facilities.
- Cleaning fees will be charged for the use of Library meeting rooms. The Library and the Friends of the Library will not be charged for their functions. The Handley Regional Library Board will approve the cleaning fee schedule for Library meeting rooms.
- All meetings must be open to the general public. The Library reserves the right to monitor all meetings held on its premises.
- No admission may be charged and no sales may be conducted unless sponsored by the Library. Personal information may not be solicited from program attendees.
- Granting permission to use Library facilities does not constitute an endorsement of the organization or its members’ beliefs by the Library staff or Library Board. Publicity for the event should not imply Library sponsorship or affiliation.
Meeting Room Procedures
When a meeting room is not in use by the Library or a Handley Regional Library department, the meeting rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis to groups and organizations as specified in the policy and procedures. These uses are scheduled on the basis of a completed application accompanied by payment for required fees as applicable.
To provide regulations for the use of library meeting space to ensure equitable access to library facilities by community and governmental organizations.
The use of library meeting space is open for any lawful activity to groups or organizations. The library meeting space is not open for private social events (such as family reunions or wedding receptions) nor for meetings of any group or organization that is soliciting business, trying to make a profit, or fundraising. Permission to use library meeting space does not constitute an endorsement by the library of that group’s activities or beliefs.
Reservations will be taken on a first-come-first-served basis and should be made at least ten (10) calendar days ahead of the meeting in order to ensure time for confirmation.
To allow availability for all groups, reservations cannot be made more than three months (90 days) in advance.
Groups may only have two (2) active reservations on the books.
All requests for meetings are subject to approval by the library administrative staff and to review by the Library Board of Trustees.
A written confirmation from the library is required for use of library meeting rooms. Reservation requests can be made online from the library’s web page: www.handleyregional.org
Animals, insects and other living organisms may not be brought into the library. Trained Service animals are allowed.
Permission may be denied to any group whose purpose involves: physical activity or exercise, clinical activities, theatrical props and weapons of any type.
Room Reservation Fees
Room and/or equipment fees will be due within ten (10) calendar days of making the reservation request or the reservation may be canceled. If you have a late booking, payment of room fees will be due at the time of booking.
4 hours or less
Over 4 hours
Additional fees will be charged for any damage to, or cleaning of, the facilities and/or equipment. Failure to leave rooms clean and neat will result in a custodial fee and possible loss of future use.
How Meetings Are Scheduled
Meeting rooms are available only during the Library’s regularly scheduled hours. Meetings must end before the library closes. Meeting rooms are scheduled as a library service contingent upon the availability of space and staff. If two or more requests are received at the same time for the use of the rooms, the room will be scheduled for the requester who submits payment first. The Library or Friends of the Handley Regional Library meetings and programs will always take priority.
In Case of Damage
The Library can assume no responsibility for private property used on Library premises.
Any damage to Library premises or equipment or extra cleaning required as a result of group use must be paid for by that group. Library facilities must be left in a clean and orderly condition. Any plans for decorations must be approved in advance by the library building manager. Misuse of library facilities may result in denial of future use.
Groups using the meeting room must make provisions to guard against public disturbances and unsafe practices and must be responsible for all persons admitted to their activities.
The Library owns tables, chairs, and equipment that may be used for meetings. The organization reserving a meeting room is responsible for setting up tables and chairs and must provide someone who knows how to operate the equipment requested. Room setup must be done during the Library's regularly scheduled hours of service and are included in room use time. When applicable, chairs and tables must be returned to storage racks and put away in storage closets.
All equipment must be returned to Library staff promptly at the end of the meeting. Equipment may not be left in the room in the room after the meeting has ended. Library staff are not allowed to set up personal or rental equipment (i.e. laptop, projectors, etc.) for any group.
Upon arrival and departure for meeting room usage, the responsible party must visit the Information Desk for sign-in and sign-out. Rooms must be reserved by individuals over the age of 18. If the room is to be used by individuals under the age of 18, the group must be supervised by an adult who is deemed the responsible party and must remain in the room during its use by the group.
- If any scheduled meeting times and/or dates change or need to be canceled, notify Library Meeting Room Staff as soon as the change has been made so the meeting space can be made available.
- A refund, minus a $10 processing fee, will be made if the meeting is canceled at least one (1) week in advance. Refunds cannot be made for cancelations made after this deadline, and organizations are encouraged to reschedule.
- The library reserves the right to cancel meetings due to unforeseen circumstances or emergencies. All efforts to reschedule canceled meetings will be made.
- Library staff members will not assist in the set-up or arrangement of rooms. No furniture may be moved into or out of meeting rooms.
- All advertisement for activities held in a library meeting room must clearly identify the sponsor by name and phone number and may use the name Handley Library or Bowman Library only to identify the meeting location.
- Signs, banners, flyers, etc. may not be affixed to library property (no tape, tacks, nails, staples, etc.).
- The use of hazardous materials, including materials that give off fumes or are highly flammable, is prohibited.
- Open flames are prohibited in library meeting rooms and on library property.
- Light refreshments may be served (and must remain) in all meeting rooms.
- Food cannot be eaten/served in other library areas.
- No alcoholic beverages are permitted.
- The minimum and maximum number of attendees must be adhered to by room.
- Guests and their behavior are the responsibility of the lessee.
- The individual or organization reserving the room will be responsible for any damage to library property.
- Use of the meeting rooms must not interfere with the use of the library by others. Please be mindful of other groups and/or library patrons during breaks and when exiting meeting rooms.
- Persons attending meetings are subject to all library policies and regulations.
- Attendees may not leave children unsupervised.
- Smoking of tobacco products and/or electronic cigarettes is prohibited in all Handley Regional Library facilities and surrounding property.
Parking at the Bowman Library is restricted to the paved areas and designated overflow parking area.
For more information
Contact the Adult Services Division Head by phone (540) 869-9000, ext. 212 or via email email@example.com
BY CLICKING THIS 'CONTINUE' BUTTON, YOU SIGNIFY THAT YOU ACCEPT AND AGREE TO COMPLY WITH AND BE BOUND BY THE LIBRARY POLICIES AND PROCEDURES.